Instagram is a great place for female business owners to find customers and grow a huge following. Whatever type of business you are in or product or service you offer, your customer is on Instagram. If you are a photographer or model trying to get noticed in the industry, Instagram is a great place to get seen. If you are a baker, nail artist, stylist, virtual assistant, web designer or hair dresser trying to get more business, your customer is definitely on Instagram.
Instagram has approximately 500 million users – yes, that’s half a billion people – and the numbers are increasing daily. Instagram is the fastest growing social media app on the planet. It may seem like everyone is already on instagram and there is no room left for you. But that’s not true. I believe that instagram will follow in the footsteps of its owner Facebook and grow to over 1 billion users. Trust me, now is the time to get on Instagram and harness its power.
If you are just starting out on instagram or have been around for a while, here are some tips that can help build up your followers. Below are 5 types of instagram photos every entrepreneur needs in their repertoire.
- #OOTD (Outfit of the Day) – This is probably the most popular type of Instagram post (and hashtag!) instaglammers use on the ‘Gram. Showing off your outfit of the day from head to toe is a must. People who are just starting out on instagram always ask me if I get sent free clothes and do they have to wear expensive, designer clothes to have an Instagram account. I say just use what’s in your closet. That’s what I do. If you are just starting out, no one is going to send you free clothes and I don’t suggest going out and spending lots of money on clothes for your instagram photos. Look no further than your own closet, pull together a few looks and get to picture snapping.
- Focus – No, I am not talking about that Ariana Grande song (which I happen to love). I am talking about having your picture focus on one special thing that you are trying to highlight. So Maybe you can do a close-up on an intricately hand-beaded sweater, glitzy belt or funky booties. Whatever you choose, This type of photo is great if you take a photo that is not so great. Hey we’ve all been there. As an instaglammer, you take lots of photos for the ‘Gram on a regular basis. Some photos will turn out not so great. In cases like this, I try to focus on one thing in the picture that I can edit and focus on.
- Collage – A collage is a photo that shows a combination or collection of things. In the case of an instaglammer, a collage could show an outfit with the matching accessories and makeup. Or a collage could show different types of rain boots. Whatever the case, a collage is a great. If you are the star of your Instagram feed, using a collage instead actually being in every photo is a great way to take a break and switch things up on your feed but still stay on brand.
- Themed Photos (A Holiday, Booties Week, etc.) – If a holiday is coming up, celebrate it on Instagram. Take a picture in a funny turkey hat for Thanksgiving or an ugly Christmas. In October, every day wear or show something that is pink in honor of breast cancer awareness month. This is really not hard to do. If you are struggling to come up with ideas of themes you can use, just look around you or at the calendar. Is it summer? Try flip flops to flip over week or bikinis for every body week. Is it winter? What about doing a week on cozy coats, booties or how to layer. Also create your own themes and post pictures for a few days or a week to play up that theme.
And last but definitely not least…
- Quotes – Everyone loves a good quote. Did you know that on Facebook and Instagram, quotes get the most likes, comments, shares, tags and reposts more than any other type of photo? Just think about it. Quotes can be funny, inspirational, sarcastic or motivational sayings. A quote can also be something interesting a person of note has said or written. Try posting a quote photo about once a week and I bet you’ll be surprised at the huge response and interaction you get from it. A great source of quotes is the internet. Just google “quotes” and it will return a vast array of websites and actual quotes that you can use.
Of course this is just a starting point for you. There are so many other types of fun and interesting posts you can use on Instagram. The key is to continue posting on a regular basis. And if you want to learn some important things you don’t want to do on Instagram, click on the button below to learn the 5 Rookie Mistakes I made that you don’t want to make. Now get out there and be amazing!
But before you go, let me ask you something. Have you used all 5 of these types of photos on your Instagram account? Was there one type of photo that you have not tried but want to use? Let me know in the comment section below. And if you haven’t already, please follow me on Instagram. Have a great day!