Don’t have time to read this blog post about the 10 diet apps, gadgets and tools I used to lose 10 pounds? PIN IT for later. **This blog post contains affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. I only recommend products that I love and/or use personally.**
I NEEDED TO LOSE WEIGHT AFTER HAVING TWINS
Have you ever flipped through a magazine at the grocery check-out and seen articles about how that magazine helped a group of women lose weight? Ever wonder how those women got hooked up with that magazine to get the free personal training and support to lose weight? Well, I had the opportunity to do that. A few years ago, I was part of a weight loss challenge run by Redbook magazine. I had just had twins and topped the scale at over 200 pounds. I needed help losing weight and working with Redbook magazine was an awesome experience. I lost weight during the challenge and I still follow the workouts and meal plans I learned to keep the weight off. Keep reading and I’m gonna show you all the diet apps, gadgets and tools that I used to drop the weight and keep it off.
But before I launch into my list, I want to let you know that I use every product mentioned in this list. No one paid me to mention or endorse any of the products listed below. These are all products I use daily to achieve and maintain my personal fitness goals. These are my absolute favorite diet apps, gadgets and must’haves. I would not recommend something to you if I haven’t tried it. I just feel like in our everyday lives, we tell our friends what we love, what works and what doesn’t work. Well, friend, below are 10 diet apps, tools and gadgets that worked for me concerning weight loss.
Related Blog Post: How Redbook Magazine Helped me Lose Weight Fast
- MyFitnessPal App (Free!) – What would I do without my MyFitnessPal app? This is the diet app that started it all and it’s my favorite app. This app lets you log in everything you eat and drink. Plus, you can log in your exercise and thoughts for the day. It is awesome. They have a huge database of food, so don’t worry. If you can buy it at a supermarket or order it at a restaurant, you can log it in this app. If you don’t want to use the app on your phone, you can also log in your food on their website as well. Personally, I find this app really helps me see and understand what I am eating. I am less likely to eat that pint of ice cream when I know I have to enter all those calories into the MyFitnessPal app. This diet app helps me make better eating choices.
- FitBit ($60 – $250) – Fitbit has several products to fit your fitness personality. If you visit the Fitbit website, you can take a test to find out which FitBit product fits best with your fitness goals and lifestyle. I used the FitBit Zip for a few years. However, I kept breaking the clip. So after going through about 5 of them, I switched to the FitBit Alta. Now, I am not a watch girl and I don’t like wearing things on my wrists except a few bangles. But so far so good, I haven’t broken or destroyed it yet. The FitBit Alta even has Caller ID features where I can see who is calling me on my cell phone. Pretty cool! There’s also an app that you can download to track your progress. It already tracks calories burned, steps, and sleep. But the cool thing about the app is that you can have challenges with your friends. Each week, my girlfriends and I have step challenges to see who can complete the most steps in a day. We get really competitive and it makes reaching your daily step goal fun. I find that my Fitbit actually helps me be more active.
- Ramona Braganza 3-2-1 Training Method Level 1 DVD ($19.99) – I LOVE DOING THIS DVD! It is incredible. I’m not a celebrity but I had the privilege of working with celebrity fitness trainer, Ramona Braganza while I participated in Redbook’s Wedding Dress Challenge. Ramona has sculpted the bodies of some of Hollywood’s most beautiful bodies. She has worked with Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba and Zoe Saldana. And now she can work with you too! The cool thing about her DVD is that you can custom create your workouts. No two workouts are ever the same which keeps your body guessing and stops your weight from plateauing. You never get bored with Ramona’s workouts. I can do her workouts when I travel or in my own home gym. Get this DVD, you’ll be so happy that you did. Ramona also has book called “Feel Fit Look Fantastic in 3, 2, 1”. In this book, Ramona talks about her fitness and diet plan to help women shed excess weight. I would recommend adding this book to your library collection as well.
- Flipbelt ($28.99) – I love to run. I love to run on the treadmill, outside, and after my kids. But running outside or in a gym used to be a hassle because I had nowhere to put my keys and cash. I would put my keys in my sock but that hurt. Then one Christmas, my husband gave me the Flipbelt. Hurray! Now I just slip on my Flipbelt over my workout bottom, put my keys and cash in the invisible pockets and head out for my run. And the cool thing is that no one can tell you are wearing the Flipbelt. It looks like the waistband of your workout bottom. Brilliant! I have the Flipbelt Classic which comes in 9 colors. I have the black one. However if you are a true fashionista, you can buy more than one in different colors to coordinate with your outfits.
- More Time Moms (MTM) Calendar ($15.99) – Using a calendar is a great way to keep me on track because I tend to avoid deadlines and shy away from making decisions. Yes, I have issues. But anyway, I love using this calendar. I know I can make and track goals in other apps like MyFitnessPal and FitBit. And I do use these apps to make goals. However, my MTM calendar is hanging in my closet and every time I walk in there, I see the calendar with my goals highlighted on it. It is a powerful visual for me and constant reminder of my goals. So I am not saying you have to use a paper calendar. If an electronic calendar works best for you, then use that. Do what works best for you. The key is to use a calendar to post and track your goals.
- “Now Eat This!: 150 of America’s Favorite Comfort Foods, All Under 350 Calories” Cookbook by Rocco DiSpirito – I recommend that you invest in several good cookbooks that specialize in healthy eating. Dieting is not easy. Many people think that healthy foods tend to be bland and boring compared to their high-calorie, high-fat alternatives. However, that’s not the case if you invest in a few good cookbooks. It is really important to switch things up a bit and incorporate new recipes into your eating on a regular basis. This keeps you from getting bored and running to the nearest McDonalds – or in my case, Chik-Fil-A. I really love cookbooks like this one by Rocco DiSpirito that show you healthy alternatives to snacks, sweets and high-calorie favs like fried chicken, lasagna and mashed potatoes. I believe that I have been successful in my diets because I didn’t deprive myself. I just substituted my guilty pleasures with low-calorie, healthy alternatives. I also love “The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook” by Tosca Reno. It has great recipes, too. I have many, many cookbooks and wanted to give you a few that I love. Find one that speaks to you and go with that.
- iTunes App (Free but the music and video downloads will cost you!) – This is obviously not a diet app. However, it’s a must-have fore every workout. Music is a crucial component to my workouts. If I can’t listen to music during a workout, I am immediately bummed out. I t may seem intuitive, but if you don’t have it already, get iTunes, Tidal, Spotify, Netflix or any other type of service that offers music and video to its customers. Watching a movie or listening to my current favorite song makes my workout go faster.
- Beats Headphones ($200 – $1200) – Want studio quality headphones where you can hear every beat, treble and note? Plus look cool wearing them? Well, then look no further. Dr. Dre’s Beats headphones are for you. They are the most sought after headphones on the market and they deliver. I don’t know about you but I feel funny using those tiny plug earphones. I feel like I’m going to lose my hearing using them. But Beats headphones are big. I don’t know if this is true or not, but I feel like I’m protecting my ears better using them. I will admit, Beats headphones are an investment. I got mine as a gift so fortunately, I didn’t have to fork out any cash for them. But if something happened to my Beats headphone today, best believe that I’m making a beeline to BestBuy to get a new set.
- Jump Rope ($19.99) – I love jumping rope because it’s a tough, cardio workout and you can take it anywhere. Have you tried jumping rope for 20 minutes? It’s hard, right? Jump ropes are great because you can pop it in your suitcase or purse when you travel. I can do it in my hotel room or on the sidelines as I’m watching my girls soccer practice. For me, it’s important to buy a longer rope because I am tall. I also want plastic handles, not the foam ones that tend to break off over time. So what are you waiting for, jump to it.
- Ozeri Pronto Digital Food Scale ($10.41) – Eating healthy is important. However, eating the correct portion size of your food is important as well. While I am meal prepping or fixing my plate to eat, I measure out my food portions. . Now, you can get some really fancy digital food scales that will do everything short of cooking the food! But this amazing scale runs on batteries and shows the weight of my food in pounds and ounces. That’s all I need!
It’s all about the tools
Ever wonder why Michael Jordan’s Air Nike shoes are so popular and his brand is so enduring? It’s the tools! People believe that if they can wear the same shoes that Michael Jordan wore, then they too can “be like Mike” on the basketball court! And to a certain extent, that is true. If someone has had success in an area by using certain tools, then others can too. Now, I would never put myself in the same category of greatness as Michael Jordan. His athletic skills and business acumen are legendary. I mean, he has created a billion dollar brand.
But hopefully, by showing you the tools that I used to lose weight, you too can achieve weight loss. If you want to learn the exact steps I used to lose weight, check out my eBook, “The Busy Mom’s Guide on How to Lose Weight: How Redbook Magazine Helped Me Lose 18 Pounds.” I detail my eating plan, fitness workouts and other tips that helped me lose weight quickly. Because you don’t have to do this alone. I am always here to help and encourage you on your weight loss journey.
BTW, If you get one of the above tools, gadgets or diet apps, please let me know how you like it in the comments below.