In last week’s post, I talked about how we, as women with busy schedules, can find more time to blog and work on our business. A few of you got back to me and said that watching a lot of television cuts into their time to work on their blog and business. I completely understand the lure of the television and the power it has over us. Some of my clients really struggle with it. It has all the shows and movies you want to see at the click of a button. And with television, FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) is real and there is so much good stuff on every day. What’s a girl to do?
Now, I rarely turn on the TV during the day, but that was not always the case. When I was writing my dissertation, I just could not turn off the television. It was my escape from all the hard work I was doing. Bad thing was that I was spending so much time watching “The Young and the Restless” and reality TV that I was barely getting any work done on my dissertation. My research advisor voiced his concern to me about my lack of progress. That was a turning point for me and I knew I had to get help or this whole PhD thing wouldn’t turn out so well. So I enlisted the help of a mentor to get me back on track. With the help of my mentor, I was able to rein in my TV watching and finish my dissertation. YaY! But what I learned about being productive and still watching television applies to anyone trying to complete tasks, get work done or reach goals. And now, I want to pass those tips on to you so you can use them to be more prolific and profitable on your blog or business.
Need to blog and work on your business but can’t turn off the TV, here’s a few suggestions:
- TiVo it. The greatest invention after the television is TiVo. If you have to work on your business, TiVo what you really want to see or don’t want to miss on television. Buy it. It is worth the investment.
- Be patient because if you forgot to TiVo it, it will probably come on again.
- Get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime or some other streaming service that lets you watch television on demand. So when you have a free hour, watch the show you really want to on demand.
- Watch your favorite shows while you are working out. I do this religiously. When I’m doing my cardio, I’m not listening to music. No way! I’m watching Netflix. Depending on how long you work out, t’s a great way to get in anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of tv watching.
- Here’s a trick I used in graduate school when I really wanted to watch something but had a ton of work to do. Watch it live when it comes on but work only during the commercial breaks. Or watch it on TiVo but don’t fast forward through the commercial breaks. This only works for shows and movies that have commercials. Honestly, I probably write most of my blog posts during commercial breaks. Try it. You will be amazed at how much work you get done.
What are some tips that you use to keep your TV watching time in check? Do you struggle with watching too much television? Is it affecting your work time? If so let me know in the comments. Also, let me know your tips and tricks on how to be more effective at getting work done during the day.
Category: Blogging Tips